ART | DOCUMENTARY ABOUT SOL LEWITT

5.2.15



One of the things I like to do on a snowy evening like yesterday's - besides putting on my joggers as soon as I get home - is watching documentaries back to back. Preferably documentaries about art and social issues. On Tuesday, I watched a documentary about the Rijksmuseum and yesterday I picked one about artist Sol Lewitt. His wall drawings somehow help me putting things in perspective, when I am worrying about stuff that happened that day, and give me energy.

CONCEPTUAL AND MINIMAL ART
Sol LeWitt was one of the founders of both conceptual and minimal art in the late 1960s, meaning that he thought that an idea was actually more important than the artwork itself. He translated his big and colorful or either monochrome (wall)paintings into a manual, so that others - read his assistants - could execute his work. With the intended consequence that a LeWitt is installed for the duration of an exhibition, after which the artwork is destroyed. 

Two important essays by LeWitt defined the new movement in the 60s: Paragraphs on Conceptual Art and Sentences on Conceptual art. Truth be told that I still have to read them both. (Note to the self. ;-)) 

INSPIRED BY LEWITT
Young artists are still inspired by LeWitt. Think of Amsterdam based artist Daan Roukens for example, with his abstract paintings and murals. All the more reason to study LeWitt's work. 

I cannot embed the documentary as a player on this page, but you can check it out on NPOdoc.  

Enjoy!
-xoxo-
JP

Follow me on Facebook


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate and read every single one of them. Talk to you soon! -xoxo-

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...