HOTSPOT | OLD AMSTERDAM IN PICTURES

27.12.14


Amsterdam Central Station, 1968

As a history freak, I love to nostalgically daydream of Amsterdam's past. Discovering the city's stories, makes me feel like I become even more part of its society than I already am. Naturally, my heart made a little jump when I stumbled upon a Facebook page that collects photographs of Amsterdam street scenes. Really dating back to the early 1900's. On a rainy - and even snowy - day like this, flipping through these photos is the perfect holiday activity. To hell with the sale starting at COS and & Other Stories, I stay right where I am with a cup of tea and my Macbook glued to my body. 

I made a little selection of some of my favorite pictures from this Old Amsterdam Facebook page, but there is plenty more to find. I especially love the really old pictures in which everyone is dressed like its a scene from Boardwalk Empire. I would love to spend a day in 1910 Amsterdam, smoking my elegant cigarettes and wearing real fur. Because who knew that those things would become subject of debate just a few decennia later?

Enjoy these pictures and let me know which one is your favorite!
-xoxo-
JP

Follow me on Facebook

Christmas at the Reguliersbreestraat, 1970
Prostitutes at De Wallen, 1968
Shopping at the Kalverstraat, 1960
Dam square, 1972
Smoking cigarettes and drinking tea at the Rembrandtplein, 1938
Bakkersstraat, 1965
Caterer at the Prinsengracht 805, 1906
Leidseplein, 1976
Telephone promotion team, 1918
Summer's day at the Reguliersbreestraat, 1988


1 opmerking:

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate and read every single one of them. Talk to you soon! -xoxo-

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...